Deauville and on to Honfleur

So, there we were in Deauville.   A pleasant motor/sail (sailed half of it and then the wind died) from Ouistreham round to Deauville.   A lovely sunny afternoon where, after securing in our berth, we wandered off to a look around.   I have to say, it is pretty but it is also a holiday town albeit an upmarket holiday town (for les Parisennes)  and sort of reminded us of a small version of ‘Brighton meets Port Solent’ in a wierd way.

Costa del Deauville marina development

Just along from us were the friends we met in Cherbourg,  Robbie and Charlotte Wins on their big Beneteau ‘Winsie’   We actually plotted them entering the port on AIS;  how sad is that?

And then it started to blow a hoolie again and rained as well.  The following morning we decided to move on.  It is funny,  there comes a time during a stay somewhere when, even though there is no time constraint on us,  we just know when it is time to move on.

We did all the secondary port stuff and went and had a look at the outside of the lock, which confirmed that our timings were actually quite close.   We locked out as early as we could in order to have as much favourable tide behind us on our way up to the Seine.  We had to skirt around a ‘green’ bit and over a shallow bit and then cross the channel and head in along the ‘wrong’ side of the reds (in the same manner but opposite to that of the small craft channel in Portsmouth.  On reaching No 20 port hand marker it was then a nip across the channel and in to Honfleur Lock  which should be open for entries on the hour and exits on the half hour.   We arrived at the  top of the tide and went straight in on free-flow,  parked in Steves parking place on the town quay and went and had lunch.


At 1630 the road bridge opened to let us in to the Vieux Port of Honfleur, where a pretty French girl in a RIB came and directed us to where she wanted us to moor.  Time for a cup of tea.   Turns out that we are completely surrounded by internet wifi connections,  of which 3 are not encrypted,  so half an hours fiddling had the Wight Mistress network up and running and Steve managed to phone Plum at home.


Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s